Vegan Omelette

November 18, 2012

Vegan Omelette

This vegan omelette has been a regular on my menu for over two months - it's super delicious, filling, really easy to make, budget-friendly and nutritious. I came to know Andrea - the author of Chocolate and Beyond - thanks to a recipe contest and I've been a fan of her simple and creative recipes ever since. The omelette is listed among her 12 Yummy Vegan Breakfast & Brunch Ideas (scroll down to no. 5). This dish has taken my love for chickpeas to such extremes that there have been days when I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with little else in between - it is that good.

Vegan Omelette

I have found this to be quite similar to the Italian farinata di ceci (cecina), the Spanish tortilla de garbanzo, the French socca and the Indian besan cheela or puda. However, while these ones mostly use water and oil in the batter, the omelette uses milk (non-dairy) for an enriched taste and texture, and it's really soft and moist.

Vegan Omelette

Anyone transitioning to veganism who misses eggs would love this. I once made it for someone who is not vegan and was very surprised to hear that they actually thought it was an egg omelette. I don't miss eggs and being the huge chickpea fan that I am I love this for what it is: a crazy-good chickpea dish.

Chickpea Mushroom Spring Onion Omelette

The basic chickpea omelette is extremely versatile in all its simplicity and ease of making. I will show you the versions I've made so far, hoping to inspire you to try your own. For the recipe please head over to Andrea's post. You might find my tips and tricks useful, so please read on.

Vegan Omelette

The first I tried was Andrea's original recipe (pictures above), with cayenne pepper instead of green chili. The combination of mushrooms, spring onions and chickpea is incredibly delicious. Now, Andrea suggests half omelette per person. I don't know about you, but I simply can't get enough of it, so I eat the whole thing. I did reduce the amount of spring onions to 2-3.

The non-stick pan I use is thin, so the cooking time is greatly reduced, especially since I like to up the heat a bit to get some crispy edges. My omelettes are about 18 cm in diameter, so when I stick with the initial amounts they come out a little thick, which makes them easy to slice and perfect for a packed lunch (they're great even cold). After making the batter once or twice it's easy to just eyeball the amounts and even reduce them to make thin omelettes.

For kids, you can add the cooked veggies to the batter and make pancake-like mini omelettes.

Chickpea Mushroom Omelette

This is the mushroom version, very high in protein and fiber. My favourite type are the chestnut. The constant in all the omelettes I've made is garlic. I really love a crispy texture and for that I use a combination of sunflower oil and vegan margarine (the one I use has a high fat content, so it's more like butter).

Chickpea Mushroom Omelette

I first cook the mushrooms in 1 tsp margarine on medium heat for a few minutes until they're golden-brown and glossy, then add the garlic and stir for a few seconds so it doesn't burn, lastly I add a little oil and the batter. I up the heat a bit and when the edges are crispy and the top almost dry I flip it over using a spatula.

Chickpea Mushroom Omelette

Chickpeas are a low calorie food, with zero cholesterol and a low glycemic index, rich in protein, fiber, minerals and vitamins. You can serve the omelette with a vitamin C-rich salad to better absorb iron. I sometimes like to drizzle a little lemon juice over the omelette, that tastes really good. For more information about the health benefits of chickpeas and fiber please read my notes on Chickpea Nuggets and Burgers.

Vegan Omelette

Tender, slightly caramelized red bell peppers make an exciting contrast of taste and texture in this savoury dish. I use half a large pepper per omelette and follow the same method as above.

Vegan Omelette

The omelette is very soft, moist and a little crispy here and there. I've used unsweetened soy milk, almond milk and coconut milk with equally great results. Coconut milk has to be the carton type, as the canned one has too much fat and the omelette doesn't cook well. I use sea salt or Himalayan.

Vegan Omelette

This was madness! Spring onions, mushrooms and red bell pepper, a symphony of flavours!


I first cook the peppers in a little vegan margarine, then add the mushrooms, when they're tender and golden I add the chopped spring onions and finally garlic. A little oil right before pouring the batter, a little shake and done, heat does the rest.

Vegan Omelette

A substantial meal in one simple dish, this omelette is so gratifying despite the little effort to prepare it. Additional spices I like to use are smoked paprika, nutmeg and sumac.

Vegan Omelette

And lastly, the plain, garlic-flavoured version (I still add the spices). This is for those times when you want something quick and simple, no complex flavours, no hassle preparing and cooking vegetables, just good food. You can top it with shredded vegan mozzarella, chopped tomatoes, ketchup, oregano, then roll it up and make yourself a nice pizza omelette roll:)

Vegan Omelette

This three-fold omelette is a simple way to impress guests.

I hope I've convinced you to try this amazing recipe and would love to know which version is your favourite.

Enjoy and spread the magic!:)


Like this post? Share it with your friends and come back for more!:)

33 comments:

Anonymous

Beautiful. As always you are the vegan goddess

Michael (from Facebook)

Shared on Facebook! :-)

Something yummy and versatile that can be made like a breakfast or brunch dish, a pancake, a pizza, or whatever the imagination can come up with! :-)

Where can one buy chickpea flour, or how does one make it at home? Must have my chickpeas! :-)

Vegan Magic

@Laurin: You always make me smile:) In this case all the credit goes to Andrea. With a foolproof recipe like this it is so easy to play with the ingredients. I just had to share it, it's the one dish I eat the most often:) Can't wait for you to try it;)

Vegan Magic

@Michael: Thank you yet again for your support:) Indeed this recipe is so versatile and easy to add a personal touch to. Chickpea flour or garbanzo flour is also known under the Indian name of besan or gram flour. It should be available in all major supermarkets and in the Asian and Middle Eastern stores. Alternatively you can make your own using dried chickpeas. A food processor would turn them into tiny pieces which you can then grind into flour using a coffee grinder. One way or another I hope you will be able to make this omelette, it's absolutely amazing!

Anonymous

This is wonderful!

Vegan Magic

Thank you, Layla Beth:) Give it a try sometime, you'll love it:)

Andrea - Chocolate and Beyond

Adriana I am so happy to know you have relished this recipe so much, and made so many versions from the original! There is nothing a cook can love more than seeing someone enjoy their creations. I haven't eaten this myself in a while, so I think you have inspired me with some of your ideas to start getting the gram flour out again!

You are right though - it is certainly a most versatile dish. I love it with vegan chorizo or vegan peppery sausages added too. Yummy yummmy!

Vegan Magic

Thank you so much for your kind words, Andrea:) I love vegan chorizo, that's one version I have yet to make, but already know it's gonna be super delicious:) I look forward to trying more of your amazing recipes!

Oide_Schachdl

Tried it today and - Yes! - it is that good. Yum! :) This will definitely become a favorite.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Vegan Magic

I am delighted that you enjoyed it, Susanne:) Thank you so much for the feedback, I appreciate it:)

fartygirl

yeah... i posted this recipe on my blog three years ago... glad to see the word is still getting out... chickpea flour is so much healthier for the bod!

Vegan Magic

Anney, thank you so much for stopping by. I've just seen the pictures on your blog and your version looks yummy. This one uses non-dairy milk instead of water, an enriched socca version I'd say, plus the veggies which add a lot of flavour. Chickpea flour surely is more nutritious and filling than wheat flour. I make this omelette quite often, it's really good:)

The Old Painted Cottage

I've made this several times, and my family loves it! I have just one question though - how do you get your omelettes so thin? Would you be kind enough to share your measurements? I'm wondering if more non-dairy milk is the answer? Mine are so thick, they're more like a thick pancake! lol

Vegan Magic

Jennifer, I'm very happy to know your family enjoyed the omelette. I don't really measure anymore, been making it so often that I can easily eyeball the ingredients. My pan is quite small so the omelette comes out thick, and I like it that way when I'm really hungry. Otherwise I just reduce the amounts. When I accidentally add a little too much milk I make sure to use margarine/non-dairy butter, not too much, that way it forms a crust and I can easily flip the omelette. Try using a larger pan, but then you need to be careful when turning it upside down. Or halve the batter and make two thin omelettes. I hope this helps. Thank you so much for giving the recipe a try:)

Anonymous

It sounded like an odd combination, so I was skeptical - but it was delicious! Made it for supper tonight and I want to make it again tomorrow! Thanks for an awesome website

Vegan Magic

Anonymous, that was my reaction too when I read the recipe and since I made the first omelette this has been one of the most often cooked foods in my house:) Today I had 2 plain, very thin ones. Super delicious! I'm very happy you like my blog and hope you'll try more recipes. Thank you so much for the feedback:)

Anonymous

Please, help on cooking!

Mines are not moist enough to be fold like an omelette, as shown on your picture of the plain one... and no little holes on the surface too. Help!
Thanks.

PS - I also use gram-flour with some water, different spices and a little baking-powder, as a dough for vegetable fritters (cf. pakora recipes)

Vegan Magic

Isatis, I'm very happy you've given the omelette a try. The thinner the batter, the softer the omelette (not too thin though, or you won't be able to flip it). I've made dozens and dozens of omelettes ever since I found the recipe, and still sometimes I don't get the consistency right, so don't be discouraged. 2 things are important when making soft omelettes: 1) coat the bottom of the pan with a little oil, spread it all around and make sure the pan is hot enough when you pour the batter. The sizzling oil is what creates those tiny holes. 2) keep the heat on medium-low so the omelette stays soft and golden. It may take a little practice, but you'll get there:) I hope your next try is perfect:)

Vegan Magic

@Isatis: PS Cauliflower and broccoli pakoras are some of my family's favourite snacks:) I like to use baking soda instead of baking powder, I feel it makes them crispier. I use the same batter to make bondas. Besan is so versatile, right?

Rhonda

Hello Andriana,

I had attempted a similar recipe made with the chickpea flour a while back and I did not have much success in getting it to cook properly. I am glad to see you give your numerous favorite ideas and tips to your readers. I will give this a try. I was wondering what you meant when you said 2-3 spring rolls in one of your comments to one of your omelettes. Just wondering if you use them in the omelette?
Thank you, Rhonda

Vegan Magic

Rhonda, thank you so much for writing and bringing this up. The "rolls" was just a typing mistake, I meant spring onions. No matter how many times I re-read the posts, it seems some typo still remains:)

This recipe is foolproof, at least in my experience. I no longer measure the ingredients and the omelettes still come out great. If sometimes the batter is too liquidy, I simply cook the omelette on medium-high so it becomes a little crispy and then be able to flip it. I hope your experience is a successful one. You can then add chopped veggies and spices to your liking. Enjoy!:)

Anonymous

i didn't understand, where is the recipe?

Vegan Magic

Hi there, just click on the words "Andrea's post" which are in blue, they are linked to the original recipe, so a new page will automatically open in a new window and you will find it there along with more pictures. I hope you enjoy the omelette when/if you try it:)

Anonymous

I've just cooked and enjoyed this amazing dish with home made vegan seitan sausages and baked beans in tomato sauce. It was delicious. Thank you.

Vegan Magic

My pleasure:) That sounds delicious and rich, I'm so happy you enjoyed the omelette. Thank you so much for the feedback!

Anonymous

Thanks for the tips and link to this recipe. I made my first one like the original (from the link) but the second go round I modified the recipe a tad:
I added Nutritional Yeast (1 T) for a cheesy flavor. I also added cumin (1/2 t.) and halved the curry.
I then topped it with fresh tomato, avocado cut up in cubes with lime juice and salt mixed in. The combo was very delicious and satisfying! thanks again! :)

Vegan Magic

Thank you so much for the feedback, I am so happy you enjoyed the omelette, both versions. The recipe is one of my favourite and one I make often. Very easy to adapt and delicious with every combination:)

Anonymous

Its really unfair because I can't eat chick peas anymore. They make me violently sick. I used to enjoy them so much. I would love to try this out.

Vegan Magic

Too bad that you can't have chickpeas anymore, this is something truly amazing to taste. What about tofu, can you have that? There are many great tofu-based omelette recipes online, you could give them a try. I've made some before, they're yummy:)

Unknown

I've been looking EVERYWHERE for great vegan breakfast foods to serve to my non-vegan guests - to try to turn them on to vegan food.
Your recipes look perfectly 'Yum'.
I will try them and get back to you. Thanks Andrea for those pictures that inspire a nervous cook to 'Try' them.
Janet

Vegan Magic

Janet, thanks so much for your kind words:) I'm so glad you like the pictures, the recipe is very easy to make and the omelette super delicious! I hope you and your friends enjoy it.

Anonymous

I've tried it, and it was pretty good :) It didn't totally blow my socks of, maybe because it broke into pieces, and I also had a bit of feeling of rawness (or maybe it's just how chickpea flour tastes?). I'll try it again and maybe spread the batter thinner then. I'll make it again definitely, it's a good idea for a quick, protein-rich dinner (or breakfast or supper) :) I used leftover potatoes, tomato, black olives and spring onion, so it was a nice combo, similar to a frittata.

Vegan Magic

Hi, thank you so much for the feedback. When you use too many things in the omelette it's very hard to flip it without breaking it, as gram flour doesn't bind as well as regular flour or eggs. When I use too much stuffing I don't mind breaking it and flipping it in pieces, but I do spread the batter thinly so it cooks inside. If too thick, it's a good idea to cover the pan with a lid so that it cooks better inside.

Previous Next Home