Tofu Crêpes

March 04, 2012

Vegan Tofu Crêpes

A few days ago I was craving a snack that I ate at the Whole Foods Market last year, a half-folded tofu crêpe stuffed with lots of yummy veggies. I wanted to make something similar and while browsing recipes for the crêpes the first one that showed up was Bryanna Clark Grogan's video recipe on Everyday Dish. The crêpes were so easy to make and took just seconds to be done. I already had all the ingredients so I went ahead and made a batch. Not only were they incredibly delicious, but to my surprise they were exactly like the egg/dairy version I used to be crazy about in my pre-vegan days. Taste, texture, colour, flexibility, there was nothing missing.

I knew they would be great, I just didn't expect such a resemblance to the non-vegan ones. As with anything I enjoy this much, I had to make more in order to satisfy my craving. So the following day I made three more batches, one for lunch and two for evening dessert. It seems like a lot but I shared them with family and friends and they got over in no time. I filled some of them with a spinach mix and the rest with the most amazing apricot jam our friends back home had sent us.

Vegan Tofu Crêpes

So if you're vegan and missing the taste of egg crêpes, or if you're just looking for a great alternative, these are the best that you can possibly make. Soy milk and chickpea flour give them a gorgeous colour (which unfortunately I wasn't able to capture so well in these pictures).


Tofu Crêpes - This recipe makes 13 medium crêpes
(courtesy of Bryanna Clark Grogan; adapted from the recipe published in her book Soyfoods Cooking for a Positive Menopause)
  • 1 1/2 cups soy milk
  • 1 cup plain white flour
  • 1/2 cup firm silken tofu (the original recipe calls for medium-firm regular tofu or extra-firm silken tofu, the only type available was firm silken and it worked great)
  • 1/4 cup gram flour (chickpea flour)
  • 1 Tb unrefined caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • pinch of nutmeg

Vegan Tofu Crêpes

Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. My blender is not that powerful so I first blended the tofu with 1/2 cup soy milk, then added the rest of the ingredients. The batter can be used right away.

Heat a non-stick pan on medium. Lightly coat it with oil using a tissue paper. Pour 1/4 - 1/3 cup batter and tilt the pan around to form an even layer (or using the back of a spoon start spreading it from the centre outwards in circular motion). Cook for a few seconds until the top looks dry. Loosen the edges using a spatula and flip the crêpe over. Allow to cook for a few more seconds and invert it onto a plate.

Continue making the crêpes until you finish the batter, then you can:
  • fold them into quarters and serve with ice cream, coconut whipped cream and fruit, drizzle with maple syrup, chocolate or fudge sauce
  • spread them with jam, cream cheese or savoury mix and roll them up.
You can also double up the recipe and make a mille-crêpes dessert.

Vegan Tofu Crêpes

You might also like my recipe for coconut milk-based Crêpes.

Enjoy and spread the magic:)


A lot of time, effort and passion goes into each recipe I post. My greatest satisfaction comes from your feedback. If you made this recipe, then please take a minute of your time to leave me a comment. And if you like it, please share it so that others have access to it as well. Thank you all in advance!

11 comments:

Anonymous

Thanks for this delicious recipe

Vegan Magic

You're welcome and thank you for your feedback:)

Anonymous

Wow! These are great!!! Best vegan crepe recipe I've used x

Vegan Magic

I couldn't agree more:) If you would like to experiment further, you could also try the other crepe recipe on my blog. Thank you so much for the feedback.

Anonymous

Best crepes ever. My non vegan friend also loved them! Thanks a lot for sharing Bryana's recipe! Lorenza

Vegan Magic

Lorenza, I'm so happy we feel the same way about them:) Bryana's crepes are hands down the best. Thank you so much for the feedback!

Joni

VERY TASTY! I have egg and milk allergies but loved crepes so I am thrilled to find this. I believe they are just as good if not BETTER than the "regular" ones. ;) Thanks for sharing.

Vegan Magic

Joni, thank you so much for your feedback! I completely agree with you, these crepes are incredibly delicious, even better than the regular ones. Bryanna's recipe rocks!:)

wildflower

I LOVE ALL YOUR RECIPES! I don't comment often, but I hope you know that many people are sharing your recipes on pinterest and your cooking skills are definitely appreciated! You are so talented and I love how your recipes are simple to make, and yet inventive with wonderful flavours. :)

Vegan Magic

Wildflower, thank you so much for your lovely words, I appreciate your taking the time to write:) Pinterest is a major source of traffic for my blog and it's amazing to know that so many people enjoy my recipes (and pictures). I hope to inspire others to try their own combinations and recipes:)

Cecile

Oh my goodness! I have tried so many vegan pancakes and I have had to adapt ALL of them! Until I found this one!! Amazing! Thanks. Next to try the coconut milk ones.

Previous Next Home